Monday, September 14, 2009

the riviera.









I cannot help but laugh when I think about lo scorso weekend and my trip to Cinque Terre.

Cinque Terre is comprised of five villages situated along the rugged coast of the Italian Riveria. It is quite a popular spot for tourists (mostly Americans) to spend time on the beach and hike, seeing as the region is unreachable by car.
After hearing that many students in our study abroad program were planning to visit there, my pals and I decided it necessary that we also partake. We took the metro to Stazione Centrale and waited in line, let me re-phrase...waited in crowded mess, to buy our train tickets. Naturally I asked, 'What's the cheapest ticket and can we get a student discount?'. The clerk answered, '12.5 euro, 7:20 am'. Done. We'll take it.

What happens next?
We miss our 12.5 euro, 7:20 am train. Naturally.

We were so impressed by our ability to act so savvy with our money, that we decided to celebrate the night before our trip. A little too much dancing into the wee hours of the morn' and its really no surprise you don't make it in time.
Nevertheless, we were able to take the next train (8:20am) and still get to Cinque Terre by noon. Tired and uncomfortable we arrived at our destination and headed to the water.

Schedule of day:
12:15 Arrive at Monterosso.
12:30 Slight disorientation, walk in the direction everyone's walking.
12:32 Realize water spilled all over the inside of my bag. My camera!!! My ipod!!
12:35 Bathrooms?? 2 euro. Nope, we'll wait thanks.
12:50 Explore village. This takes about 10 mins. Make multiple circles down the same streets. Still a little disoriented and upset about my camera/ ipod.
12:53 Sulk in corner for 30 seconds because my ipod refuses to turn on and my camera screen is fogging.
1:30 It has been half an hour and I've had a dark chocolate gelato and two lemon slushy drinks.
2:00 Beach time. Much needed. Hop into the clear blue water. I hope a shark doesn't eat me. Oh wait. I fall asleep in the sun for 3 hours. Somehow manage not to get sunburned.
5:00 Walk into town. Eat another lemon slushy. I cannot manage to eat real food. Too upset.
5:30 Still wandering aimlessly.
6:55 Train back to Milan. We literally get on the wrong train at first and the doors close on us. Bang on the doors and jump out. Close one.

Good news. My fortuna in Italy is benissimo. My camera and ipod work.

Thank God we planned a day trip because as soon as I got home I fell asleep and didn't wake till 15 o'clock the next afternoon. Viva Italia!

Some of these photos are taken at a pit-stop in Genova.

No comments:

Post a Comment