Tuesday, September 1, 2009

buongiorno italia!

A little late in my posting because I've obviously been running around the streets of Milano, I will try to briefly recap my past couple days.

Fly out of Newark Int'l via Lufthansa Airlines (great if you enjoy the company of well dressed Germans and an pretty variety of in-flight entertainment), on Sunday night. I was strangely excited to see that my plane contained a large quantity of bathrooms on each side and even down a few stairs to a secret lower floor! Hm.
Arrived in Milan-Malpensa airport around noon after a connecting flight to Munich (I also really enjoy that airport). Picture me with two stuffed suitcases, a medium sized backpack, and carry-on bag that is rather large after a fiasco at Newark in which I had to repack to my checked bags due to the weight limit. What stress! I am in a unfamiliar city with an unnecessary amount of luggage which I need to drag with me to an express train that will take me to my program's center.
Nevertheless, I make it. I'm greeted by the loveliest staff members who literary welcome me like a long lost child with open arms and bowls of pasta. Well, not really the pasta, but you get the picture.

I receive keys to my apartment and hail a taxi to drive me and my extra caravan of personal belongings (I deemed it neccessary to pack a full closet, a full set of toiletries, peanuts [thanks mom!], lots of shoes [although I forgot my sneakers- cool.], and bedding [even though it turned out my bed was prepared] ).

My apartment building is pink. Very appropriate considering I live on Via Monte Rosa. We (my three apartment-mates and I) have a dog that lives in the garden. True story. I have little place, but its cozy and managable. Apparently we live in the "aristocratic section" of Milan. Rather far from clubs, bars, and such, but a residential area you want to be seen living at.

My Blackberry doesn't work and I do not understand this. I purchased a phonecard, yet no one in Milano can explain to me how to operate a pay phone. No one. I am starting to get anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment